Sunday 6 June 2010

The Novel

Recursion in the Novel

Many novels are recursive: the key character sets out to achieve some objective and meets other lesser objectives on the way that must also be resolved.  If the story is not to be too linear, these objectives will be met and resolved in a nested fashion.
I don't intend to discuss the recursive games I played in the novel here: they are there for the reader to discover.  I will, however, draw attention to one point.
Towards the end of the novel Constantine says “Examine any artefact of intelligence, and you will see the threads of childhood running through it.  Like sixteen sheep, walking in their sleep...”
This is the topmost level of one recursive thread.  If you enjoy the novel, you may like to try and find where it leads... 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I don't quite understand the paragraph about Constantine, but I am really curious about what that means. Could explain that in detail to me ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete